Mystery Of PA Woman's Resort Death Deepens

The mystery into what caused three people, including a Pennsylvania woman, to die at a Dominican Republic resort last month has deepened as it was revealed another Philadelphia-area resident died in 2018 at the same resort under similar circumstances.

The family of Glenside resident Yvette Monique Sport told FOX29 that she also died at a Bahia Principe Resort after having a drink from the mini bar. The circumstances are strangely similar to the death of Miranda Schaup-Werner, a 41-year-old Allentown resident who died suddenly in May after having a drink from the mini bar at the same resort chain’s Dominican Republic property.

In an interview with the network, Sport’s sister Felecia Nieves said there was “no reason for her to go on vacation and die so suddenly.” The family was told Sport died from a heart attack. Her obituary simply states she died suddenly on June 23, 2018 while in the Dominican Republic.

Now, after three other Americans died at a Bahia Principe resort on the same island, Nieves said her family wants answers. She said they were told they would receive a toxicology report within three months of Sport’s death, but nearly a year later, “we’ve got nothing.”

RELATED: PA Woman Among 3 Mysterious Deaths At Same Caribbean Resort

Schaup-Werner died May 25, just hours after arriving at the Grand Bahia Príncipe Hotel. She was visiting the Dominican Republic resort to celebrate her anniversary with her husband but collapsed suddenly while having a drink and was later pronounced dead, CBS News reported.

Five days later, two Maryland residents were found deceased in their hotel room at the same resort, the resort has confirmed in an official statement. The couple was identified as Edward Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, of Maryland.

They were found dead on May 30 — the day they were scheduled to check out of the resort, the hotel said in its statement.

There was no evidence of violence inside the room, the resort confirmed. Several medications were found in the room, including Galanpertin, Loxofen, and Oxycodon, the hotel said.

The hotel maintains there is no evidence “of any correlation between these two unfortunate incidents.”

All three died of respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, the Dominican Republic National Police told ABC News. The hotel, in its statement, said Schaup-Werner died of a heart attack. The hotel’s statement said the 41-year-old woman had prior heart complications, a fact that wasn’t confirmed by the family spokesperson in an interview with ABC News. The hotel would not comment on the cause of death of Day and Holmes pending toxicology results.

Pulmonary edema is an abnormal buildup of fluid in the lungs, according to the National Institutes of Health. It is often caused by heart failure, but can also be a result of certain medicines, injury, or even lung damage from poisonous gas, information from the NIH said.

Click Here: Golf Equipment Online

Jay McDonald, a family spokesman for Schaup-Werner, told ABC News Schaup-Werner began experiencing physical distress after having a drink from the mini bar in her room on the day of her arrival. She did not have prior health issues, McDonald told that network.

Bahia Príncipe staff followed the appropriate medical and security protocols in both cases, the hotel said.

Meanwhile, several other vacationers at the resort are coming forward with disturbing accounts of their experiences. A Denver, Colorado couple said they became “dangerously ill” during their stay and were forced to leave.

They told told ABC it smelled like paint had been spilled all over the room. A doctor who examined them upon their return said they had likely been sickened due to poisoning by pesticides, the ABC report said.

A New York woman said she too was sickened after drinking a bottle of soda from the mini bar. Awilda Montes told the New York Post she visited a Grand Bahia Principe resort in October 2018. The soda from the mini bar fridge tasted like bleach and made her violently ill, Montes told the newspaper.

The hotel did not return a request for comment from Patch.

The resort is advertised as a “sweet and cozy” getaway with access to world-class golf courses. In its statement, the resort says it holds “some of the most prestigious certifications in the tourism industry” and accommodates 700,000 guests annually.

In a statement to ABC News, the U.S. Department of State said they are “actively monitoring” the investigations into the three deaths but are “not aware of any connection” between the incidents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *