Scores of people were killed Friday after blasts rocked a mosque in eastern Afghanistan—just a day after the United Nations said that civilian casualties in the country hit record levels.
The explosions in the province of Nagarhar came during Friday prayers. Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said that bombs had been placed inside the mosque. As of this writing, no group has claimed responsibility.
Children were among the 62 dead and 36 wounded, Khogyani said.
“It was a heartbreaking scene I witnessed,” said tribal elder Malik Mohammadi Gul Shinwari.
On Thursday, the U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) released new figures showing “an unprecedented number of civilian casualties.”
During the three-month period from July 1 to September 30, UNAMA documented 4,313 civilian casualties, comprised of 1,174 deaths and 3,139 injured. That tally, said UNAMA, marks “the highest number of civilian casualties that it has recorded in a single quarter since it began systematic documentation in 2009.” The figure also represents a 42 percent increase compared to the same three-month period in 2018.
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT