Auggies win 7 of 10, top SMSU 31-11
MINNEAPOLIS — Winning seven of 10 bouts, including five by bonus-point decisions, the Augsburg College wrestling team claimed a 31-11 win over Southwest Minnesota State University in a nonconference dual meet on Thursday evening at Si Melby Hall.
FINAL SCORE: Augsburg 31, Southwest Minnesota State 11
LOCATION: Si Melby Hall, Minneapolis
RECORDS: Augsburg 5-0 overall, Southwest Minnesota State 3-3 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Seven Auggies claimed victories in the dual, with two pins, a technical fall and two major decisions.
- Eric Hensel (JR, Lakeville, Minn./Lakeville South HS) improved to 5-0 on the season with a 2:08 pin of Southwest Minnesota State’s Colton Vekved at 165 pounds. Hensel, ranked No. 3 in the latest National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III national rankings at 165, has won all five of his matches by pin this season. Dating to last season’s NCAA Division III West Regional and national tournament, Hensel has won 12 of his last 14 matches by pin.
- Logan Hortop (JR, Faribault, Minn.) also claimed a pin for the Auggies, improving to 4-4 on the season with a 2:18 match-ender over Ashton Bartlett at 197 pounds. It’s his second victory by pin this season.
- Anthony Luft (SO, Worthington, Minn.) improved to 4-1 on the year with a 17-1, third-period technical-fall win over Antonio Meikel at 133 pounds. Luft built a 10-0 lead after one period, with a takedown and two 4-point near-falls, then scored two takedowns in the second period and an escape and takedown with four seconds left in the third period to notch the technical fall.
- James Goman (JR, Lakeville, Minn./Trinity-River Ridge HS) opened the match with an 8-0, major-decision win over Taylor Curtis at 125 pounds, taking advantage of three takedowns and 2:32 of riding time.
- Aaron Wilson (FY, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS) also scored a major-decision win, an 11-1 triumph over Justin Haneke at 141. Wilson used four takedowns and 3:39 of riding time to dominate the bout.
- Grant Parker (JR, Onalaska, Wis.) improved to 8-1 on the season with a 6-4 win over Patrick Kelley at 157. Parker built a 5-1 lead in the third period, then held off a late Kelley rally to score the win, collecting 2:46 of riding time.
- Sebastian Larson (SO, River Falls, Wis.) also improved to 8-1 on the season with a 5-4 triumph over Brody Goens at 184. He led 4-2 after the second period, but his 1:42 of riding time earned him the bonus point at the end of the match.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Augsburg now holds a 25-3 advantage in the all-time series against Southwest Minnesota State. The Auggies have now won 23 straight dual meets over the Mustangs, dating to the 1987-88 season.
- Augsburg, ranked No. 3 in the latest NWCA Division III national rankings, has now outscored its opponents by a 192-33 margin in its five dual-meet victories this season.
- Against opponents from NCAA Divisions II and III, Augsburg is 296-43-1 in dual meets since the 1989-90 season. Augsburg has lost just 39 matches to non-Division I opponents since the 1995-96 season.
- Augsburg is now 17-4 under second-year head coach Jim Moulsoff.
FOR THE FOES
- The biggest upset of the evening came in the final bout, as Southwest Minnesota State’s Cole Wilson claimed a 5-3 win over Augsburg’s top-ranked heavyweight Donny Longendyke (JR, Vadnais Heights, Minn./White Bear Lake HS) in sudden-victory overtime. Trailing 2-1 in the final 15 seconds of regulation, Longendyke scored a stalling point and escape to eventually tie the match at 3-3, but Wilson claimed a takedown 11 seconds into overtime to score the win, snapping defending Division III national champion Longendyke’s 44-match winning streak dating to last season.
- Kyle Begin scored a 17-1, second-period technical-fall win for the Mustangs at 174 pounds, using a takedown, reversal, escape and three 4-point near-falls to claim the win over Augsburg’s Jackson Graham (So, Apple Valley, Minn.).
- Cortez Arredondo scored a 5-3 win over Augsburg’s Bryce Zdanovec (SO, Little Chute, Wis.), with the winning points coming on a takedown with eight seconds left in the third period.
- Augsburg competes at the St. Cloud State University Husky Open on Saturday (10/12) at 9 a.m.
- Southwest Minnesota State returns to action on Jan. 16 at the Midwest Duals in Kearney, Neb.
No. 3 Augsburg (D-III, 5-0) 31, Southwest Minnesota State (D-II, 3-3) 11
Thursday, December 10, 2015, Si Melby Hall, Minneapolis, Minn.
Time of match: 1:17
Official: Kurt Nathe
Action begins at 125 pounds.
Augsburg 31, Southwest Minnesota State 11
125 – James Goman (AUG, 5-3) maj. dec. Taylor Curtis (SMSU, 1-11) 8-0 (Augsburg 4-0)
133 – Anthony Luft (AUG, 4-1) tech. fall Antonio Meikel (SMSU, 7-9) 17-1 at 6:56 (Augsburg 9-0)
141 – Aaron Wilson (AUG, 5-4) maj. dec. Justin Haneke (SMSU, 6-8) 11-1 (Augsburg 13-0)
149 – Cortez Arredondo (SMSU, 7-6) dec. Bryce Zdanovec (AUG, 6-3) 5-3 (Augsburg 13-3)
157 – Grant Parker (AUG, 9-1) dec. Patrick Kelley (SMSU, 8-7) 6-4 (Augsburg 16-3)
165 – No. 3 Eric Hensel (AUG, 5-0) pinned Colton Vekved (SMSU, 2-7) 2:08 (Augsburg 22-3)
174 – Kyle Begin (SMSU, 4-4) tech. fall Jackson Graham (AUG, 3-1) 17-2 at 5:00 (Augsburg 22-8)
184 – Sebastian Larson (AUG, 8-1) dec. Brody Goens (SMSU, 7-7) 5-4 (Augsburg 25-8)
197 – Logan Hortop (AUG, 4-4) pinned Ashton Bartlett (SMSU, 5-8) 2:18 (Augsburg 31-8)
HWT – Cole Wilson (SMSU, 12-3) dec. No. 1 Donny Longendyke (AUG, 8-1) 5-3 (OT-SV1) (Augsburg 31-11)
View more college results
Click Here: United Kingdom Rugby Jerseys